Saturday, October 5, 2013

Corbett's "apology"


People don’t even know how to apologize any more.  

When asked on a television show about his reaction to an aide’s comparing gay marriage to marriage between 12-year-old, Corbett said it was an inappropriate analogy.  “I think a much better analogy would have been brother and sister.  Don’t you?”

According to Steve Esack’s article in the Morning Call, the interviewer was left speechless.  Some hours after the show was aired, Corbett’s office released a written “apology.”  I’m using quotations marks because here is what he said:  “My words were not intended to offend anyone.  If they did, I apologize.”

That puts the burden on you, the viewer.  If you were offended, the governor apologizes.  It’s your fault that you were offended, and I apologize for your being that way.

Here’s how to do an apology:  “What I said was appallingly ignorant, stupid, and hurtful.  I am really sorry.  To show how sorry I am, I will be resigning from my office as Governor, effective now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment