Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Bad Behavior


Last week our friend Rene, who made the video “Tea Party Chickens,” stopped by on his way to Virginia.  He opened another Youtube video he filmed entitled “ Have you been to Hazelton lately?”  That one was a critique of right-wing congressman Lou Barletta.

He then scrolled down to the comments section, and I was amazed.  Vile and disgusting comments were made on what was a light and rather funny video.  All were anonymous, of course, and that seems to remove both good sense and polite behavior.

Recently Popular Science decided to shut off on-line comments.  The editor wrote that “Comments can be bad for science.”  (You can read the article on this in the Times at <http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/science/comment-ban-sets-off-debate.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0>).  The comments on articles did not advance science, and were not civil.  Some were obscene.

When Rene set up Sajeonogi, he told me that I’d get all kinds of comments and create all kinds of controversy if I allowed any reader to comment.  He also said that if comments were restricted to “followers,” I would get reasonable and thoughtful comments, and I could monitor any comments made.  I went for the second option.  I’m glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment