Thursday, October 24, 2013

Frost advisory


When I was a kid on the farm, the day before the night of the first predicted frost was an exciting time. We filled a trailer with baskets and crates, and the whole family turned out to pick every tomato and squash and pumpkin we could find.  Cabbage was no problem--frost didn’t hurt heads of cabbage.  We did our best to bring in every other vegetable before the frost.  That exciting day usually occurred in early to mid September.

Two days ago I did the same thing.  I picked all the okra, tomatoes, squash, gourds, and  watermelons I could find.  A frost was predicted for that night, and the prediction was accurate.  I awoke on the morning of the 23rd to find the ground covered in white.  

That was about one month later than when I was a teenager in the 1950s.  Climate deniers are not farmers.  They are not only denying climate change, they are denying reality.  

2 comments:

  1. Years ago we always had our 1st frost in early Sept. Seems that its now in October. I to was lout picking the last of my tomatoes.WE had some fried Green tomatoes too. They are so good. I try to save the green ones by putting them in the garage in paper bags. They keep awhile longer that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered if it was really getting warmer or just felt that way. It seems like there isn't much of a spring nor fall, just summer and winter. I recently read an article where they can now grow wheat in Siberia because of global warming. Yeah... Siberia!

    Someone once said that people are like parasites (with the earth being the host). People(parasites) feed of the planet (host) until the planet is no longer healthy enough to sustain the people. The earth will always be here. Whether people are always on it, is another story!

    ReplyDelete