Sunday, October 27, 2013

Jim Thorpe Halloween parade


The Democrats had an entry in the Jim Thorpe Halloween parade today.  We decorated a pickup truck with a signs on each side that said. “If you like...thank a Democrat.”  With that we had small signs saying things like “Social Security,” “Medicare,” “G.I. Bill of Rights,” “Civil Rights,” Electricity for Farmers,” “Minimum wage,” and so on.

People walked along the truck passing out candy.  I sat in the cab with Billy O’Gurek, the driver (and Democratic County Chair.)  As in the Lehighton Parade, we received some cheers and thumbs up, but we also heard a number of very nasty comments and catcalls.

Billy said, “I hope our side isn’t that rude.”  I told him I was pretty sure we weren’t.  It has been my experience canvassing that many Republicans do not have good manners toward people with whom they disagree.

I think this is because Republicans are fearful.  They are worried about crime, about immigrants, about life in general.  People who are threatened lash out.  Perhaps they need a hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment