Sunday, May 31, 2015

Bog Turtle

Yesterday on my way to an electronics recycling event at the Towamensing Township municipal building, I saw a turtle crossing Strohls Valley Road.  A car was coming in the opposite direction, so I quickly stopped to carry the turtle across the road. (I have discovered that quite a few people do this.)

When I picked it up, I was amazed how small it was.  I’m familiar with box turtles, but this one was much smaller. It occurred to me that it might have been a bog turtle.  When I looked up the photos on YouTube, there it was--a bog turtle.

Bog turtles are an endangered species.  Evidently they live along the stream that flows into Hunter Creek that parallels Spruce Hollow Road.  That’s where the UGI-Penn East tracking gas pipeline will run--125 foot construction corridor and a 50 foot permanent scar.  


Who will prevail?  A multi-billion dollar company or a small turtle about the size of a dessert plate?  I think you know the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment