Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Pennsylvania Legislature

Let me try to understand this.  Pennsylvania legislators, who have nothing to do with immigration, are debating restrictions on refugees from Syria.  In the meantime, the state budget, which is their responsibility, has still not been passed and sent to the Governor.  

Agencies are running out of funding, but it is evidently more important to posture and pontificate on the threat of families from Syria.  Just ask Representative Heffley.  

By the way, the Morning Call listed a number of agencies that are helping to resettle refugees and could use some donations.  One is the Syrian Arab American Charity Association, 608 N. Second St., Allentown, PA 18102.  For more info, call 610-432-8001.


I feel like I should apologize to my readers--This must be the eighth or ninth posting on Syrian refugees.  You are probably getting tired of it, but I can’t stop.  My friend Lois, an Obama volunteer from New York who stayed with us in 2008 and 2012, believes the Syrian refugee issue is a moral crisis that we need to confront.  I think she is correct, and I think the response of Republican governors, Republican legislators, and much of the American public is un-American, un-Christian, and unworthy of who we are.

2 comments:

  1. Keep speaking out! I wonder how long it will be before congress takes a vote to take down the Statue of Liberty. After all it surely doesn't align with their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete