Saturday, November 28, 2015

Why Democrats lose elections

I will now quote the first three paragraphs of a front page article entitled “Kentucky, Beacon for Health Law, Becomes a Lab for Its Retreat” by Abby Goodnough that appeared in today’s New York Times.  

Carolyn Bouchard, a diabetic with a slowly healing shoulder fracture, hurried to see her doctor after Matt Bevin was elected governor here this month.

Ms. Bouchard, 60, said she was sick of politics and had not bothered voting.  But she knew enough about Mr. Bevin, a conservative Republican who rails against the Affordable Care Act, to be nervous about the Medicaid coverage she gained under the law last year.

“I thought, ‘Before my insurance changes, I’d better go in,’” she said as she waited at the Family Health Centers, a community clinic here.

In the recent election that brought Mr. Bevin to power, 31% of Kentuckians voted.  Some of the poorest counties supported him.

This is the same phenomena Linda, Edie, Patti, and I encountered when we tried to register people who were living in publicly subsidized housing.  People weren’t interested in voting, saw no reason to vote, and refused to register.  

I have no idea how to break through that kind of thinking.  I also know if we don’t come up with some way to raise the consciousness of people who should be the natural supporters of liberals and progressives, we are doomed to leaders like Ted Cruz or Donald Trump or Jeb Bush.  


Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I wish I knew the answer. Too many people are just plain lazy, ignorant or are obsessed with playing with their smart phones. Smart phones don't make you smart.

    ReplyDelete