Wednesday, June 8, 2016

A word to Bernie supporters

In the 1976 presidential race I was a Morris Udall supporter.  I was Udall’s campaign coordinator in the 10th congressional district in San Jose, and Linda and I and a number of San Jose State students worked very hard on Udall’s CA campaign.  I look back on that primary with a great deal of nostalgia–I brought in a large number of Filipinos to the delegate selection caucus, and for the first time ever Santa Clara County sent Filipinos to the Presidential nominating convention.

It was hard for me to accept that Jimmy Carter won the nomination.  Udall was experienced, smart, and funny.  It was Udall who said after he lost, “The people have spoken, the bastards.”

In 1980 I was a Jerry Brown supporter, again in Santa Clara County, for the Presidential race.  We lost badly, but in both cases I am proud that I supported men I still regard as the best candidate in each of those races.

Nonetheless, come November ’76 and November ’80, I voted for Carter.  Look at the alternatives in those years.  In ’76 it was Ford; in ’80 it was Reagan.  


The choice this year is not between a moderate Democrat and a reasonably moderate Republican.  The choice is between Clinton and Donald Trump, who is completely unqualified to hold the highest office in this nation and, if not a fascist, certainly has those tendencies.  So take advice from an old guy who has swallowed some bitter pills in his life.  Be proud of what you did, but this November, give Clinton your support.  It is important to America and those principles that we all stand for.

3 comments:

  1. I feel that all of Bernie's supporters should open their eyes wide and consider the consequences of a President Trump. If they think things are bad now, just wait till Trump starts the country on a downhill slide. It will be an utter disaster! This country deserves a lot better than Trump. While Bernie's supporters may not like Hillary she will not do the harm that a Trump presidency will.

    Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a Republican too. Pro choice, but other than that she's damn near George W Bush policywise. Trump is a catastrophy, but you're talking about a matter of degrees. If she is indeed on the ballot in the fall, I'll vote for a third party candidate. My conscious won't allow me to support her. Voting for her is like saying that the failed policies that she represents are ok. They're not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happens is that people who are viewing politics from the far end of a political spectrum have a skewed view. From the far right, Jeb Bush and Bernie Sanders both look like liberals. From the far left, Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton both look like conservatives. The gradations mesh. On the other hand, if you are anywhere near mainstream politics, you can see the major differences between Bush and Clinton, although I would certainly agree that both are committed to democratic government and the preservation of constitutional principles.

    ReplyDelete