Saturday, October 29, 2016

Late Fall Harvest

I thought the garden was played out, but earlier this week I found that the mini-blue popcorn crop will provide us with more than enough popcorn for the winter.  We are still getting kale and chard, and today, when I was weeding one of the raised beds, I unexpectedly found about seven or eight shallots.  

While the cabbage wasn’t too great this year, probably because of the dry weather, I had enough to make one batch of red and one batch of green sauerkraut, now fermenting in the cellar.  

I have sunflowers to cut and potatoes to dig, and I replanted two Medusa hot pepper plants in pots, so I’m still getting fresh peppers from the front porch.  It turned out to be a better year than I thought it would be.

Am I bragging?  Just a little.


2 comments:

  1. Do you think global warming might have something to do with the late harvest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost every farmer I know is aware that the climate is changing. We had nearby farmers putting hay away in October. When I was a teenager so many years ago, the last hay was cut in August.

    ReplyDelete