Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Contempt

Arthur C . Brooks, president of the American Enterprise Institute, recently wrote an article entitled “Our Culture of Contempt.”  Mr. Brooks said that America was characterized by people who had “contempt” for their opponents.  He said that each side believes “the other side is made up of knaves and fools.  It strokes our own biases while affirming our worst assumptions about those who disagree with us.”

He thought we needed to stop treating each other this way.  How can we persuade people we hold in contempt?

I don’t think we can.  How can I think of people who support a President who preaches hatred, sucks up the some of the worst dictators on the planet, says the border wall is a national emergency, appoints incompetents to the judiciary, thinks it is ok to rip children from their parents, lies constantly, is in constant need of praise, degrades women, thinks global warming is a hoax, never reads, ignores science, and has no understanding of how our democracy works...how can I not think of those people with contempt?  


If after two years in office those people still support Trump, then I hold them in contempt, and I do not think I could ever change their minds.  If they have not altered their opinion by this point, I won’t continue to bang my head against the wall.  I will simply oppose them with every means at my disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment