Sunday, March 31, 2019

Form 1040

I’ve spent most of the day figuring out my income tax.  People always ask me why I don’t hire someone, but I believe that in a democracy run by the people (?), the average citizen should be able to do his or her own taxes.  

I am supposed to be grateful to Trump for the tax cut, but I didn’t see it.  I know that many people use their taxes as a way to force savings, looking forward to a refund.  Me, I never get a refund.  I always have to pay, and occasionally have to cough up a penalty for not paying enough during the year.

You’re supposed to file quarterly when that happens, but for me it’s worth the fine not to have to mess with it four times a year.  Once is bad enough.

I also take pride in the fact that we pay our full share.  One year our tax bill was higher than President Reagan’s.  It’s probably higher than Trump’s, but we’ll never know, since he won’t release his return.  I report everything, including fair winnings and scrap metal sold to Zaprazny.  


At least this year we won’t have to sell our car to make our tax payment.  That was probably the low point of our tax history.  

No comments:

Post a Comment