Saturday, June 1, 2019

West Marin

Sometimes when people hear that I left California for Pennsylvania, they ask, “Do you miss it?”

Well, yeah.

We lived in Fairfax in Marin County.  Fairfax is on the edge of West Marin, which includes tiny towns like Olema, Woodacre, Point Reyes Station, Bolinas, and Tomales.  West Marin is a world of its own.  My friend Ramona recently sent me some issues of the Point Reyes Light, a local newspaper.  The paper includes a column entitled “Sheriff’s calls.”  Here is the list for Feb. 22 of this year:

Woodacre:  At 8:08 a.m. a tenant had questions about a civil issue with a landlord.

Point Reyes Station:  At 1:55 p.m. a Mercedes-Benz and a dump truck crashed in a bank parking lot; the truck was leaking gas, the caller said.

Olema:  At 6:05 p.m. a black cow was inside a fence, but “the fence is an issue,” someone said.

Olema:  At 6:20 p.m. someone reported a loose black cow.

Nicasio:  At 6:46 p.m. a woman became lost on her way to Oakland.

Inverness:  At 8:29 p.m. a resident was upset that a PG&E contractor was cutting trees in the dark.  

That black cow was a problem.  The next day at 9:14 a.m. it was on the roadside, and by 2:37 p.m. it had traveled to Tomales, where it was again in the road.  At least I assume it was the same black cow.


How could I not miss that?

2 comments:

  1. I've been to the Point Reyes light at least three times when I made trips to Calif. Once I took Marie there to show her the light. I miss those trips. Muir woods was always on the trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. West Marin is one of the most beautiful places in the United States, in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete