Monday, May 18, 2020

Doyle Heffley vs. Doyle Heffley

Recently I received a letter from the Doyle Heffley campaign asking me to write in Republican Heffley's name on the Democratic ballot.  Heffley is our current state representative from the 122nd district, and we do not have a Democratic nominee.  A low key campaign is asking Democrats to write in Kara Scott, a Bowmanstown Boro Council member who ran against Heffley in 2018.  In the mailer, Heffley, who is one of the most partisan members in the state House, is presented as a "non-partisan" guy who represents all the people of his district.

Kara Scott needs 300 write-in votes to get on the ballot in November.  Heffley's mailer, which is in full color and quite slick, may get him more than the 300 votes he needs.  It's all legal, but it is completely against the ideals of democracy.

Here is a copy of the letter I sent to his campaign committee.  I don't think I will get a response.

Dear Committee members

While I am pleased that you are using the Post Office, now under attack by the Trump administration, to mail out your request that I write in Doyle Heffley on the Democratic primary ballot, I won’t be doing that.

I don’t like Soviet or Chinese style elections in which only one candidate appears on the ballot.  No debate, no airing of issues–one choice only.  I don’t think elections like that are in the American tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment