Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Am I surprised?

 Not at all.  My friend René said one should never do anything when you are angry.  Wait awhile.  Take a walk.  Calm down.  Then make your comments.  I’m ignoring René.

As I type this, it is apparent that Trump may win.  I hope he doesn’t, but the fact that he may does not come as a shock.  After four years of observing this man, his corruption, and the decline of this country, the voters of the United States may very well have elected him to another term.


Am I surprised?  Not at all.  This country was built on the extermination of the native population. (How many Indians do you know who live east of the Mississippi?).  It was built on slavery and racism.  It was built on the exploitation of immigrants.  It was built on rampant capitalism that made a few people rich and impoverished millions.  It is filled with people who believe in conspiracy theories, know nothing about the Constitution except the 2nd Amendment, think that prosperity depends on the stock market, and would vote for a man who thinks Covid 19 and global warming are hoaxes.  


I hope Biden will pull it out in the end, but the fact that this election is even close shows that my fellow citizens are not the kind of people I want to live with.


3 comments:

  1. I kept gong back and forth between optimism and worry for the last few weeks, but ultimately put my faith in Charlie Cook and Dave Wasserman. I feel much as you do re: despair over ~50pc of citizens looking at Trump and buying his con or just not caring whether it’s a con or not. I actually thought better of Americans and am mourning the demise of civic virtue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your phrase "mourning the demise of civic virtue" says it all. Even if Biden manages to pull it out, the fact remains that approximately half of the American voters supported this grifter. Four years ago voters may have seen Trump as some sort of change agent. They now have had four years to observe this man, and they still voted for him. It is so depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carbon Co just made @redistrict :

    New: Carbon Co. in the Poconos region reports its mail ballots. Biden is losing it by 32.2%, after Clinton lost it by 33.8%.

    Even these tiny improvements w/ white working class voters are hugely meaningful b/c they prevent Trump from offsetting Biden's bigger suburban gains.

    ReplyDelete