Sunday, October 17, 2021

Asking Doyle Heffley for a favor

A few days ago Morning Call columnist Paul Muschick wrote about Pennsylvania State Senator Doug Mastriano’s efforts to overturn last November’s presidential election.  Muschick also noted that Pennsylvania had the third largest number of people charged for the riot at the Capitol on January 6.  (Texas and Florida had more.)  


I decided to write to my state representative, Doyle Heffley, who thus far, to my knowledge, has not spoken out on this issue.  Here is a copy of my letter:


Dear Rep. Heffley:  

I could probably count the number of issues on which you and I agree on one hand.  I assume that one of those issues would be that our governing officials are chosen by the people in fair and free elections.  People like Sen. Doug Mastriano are now casting doubt on our electoral system, as are a majority of Trump supporters, who, with no evidence, believe the presidential election was stolen.  


You know the people who run our elections in Carbon County.  You frequently visit polling places in the County.  You know that while occasional mistakes are made, no one is cheating on the vote count.


I urge you to step forward and defend our electoral process.  This is not an issue like Sunday hunting or bridge tolls or mask wearing; this gets at the heart of the American republican form of government.   

No comments:

Post a Comment