Sunday, October 10, 2021

My kind of Democrat

 Today, when I was distributing yard signs for the Democratic judicial candidates, I met a older guy who told me how he began to vote Democratic.

Years ago, when we voted by machine, you could pull down the little levers above each candidate’s name if you wanted to split your ticket, or you could pull a big lever for either the Democrats or the Republicans, and all the little levers above the candidates would click into place.  After you closed the curtain, voting straight ticket took about three seconds.

This guy’s father told him to go in and pull the big lever above the Democratic Party.  His father went with him to the polls, and he took his time voting.  When he opened the curtain his father said, “What the f--- took you so long?”

He replied, “I just wanted to look around.”

His father told him, “Listen.  In the future you just go in there and pull the big D.”  He said he always remembered that advice.

1 comment: