Thursday, October 6, 2022

Homelessness

In today’s Morning Call an Allentown City Councilwoman wrote about a time when she was homeless.  She described how bad it was and called upon the city to do more about the problem.

I understand.  When we moved to California (with wife, kid, brother-in-law) in 1970 we had no jobs lined up, no place to stay.  I immediately began looking for an apartment.  What is the first question a landlord asks?  “Where are you employed?”  I also started answering want ads.  What is the first question a potential employer asks?”  “What is your address?”

You are caught in a very bad loop.  Of course, had we really been desperate and living in our car, I would have appealed to my parents.  I also lucked out finding a landlord who took pity on us and rented an apartment even though we were unemployed.  Nonetheless, I do understand how it can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment