Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Covering the local news

Linda and I have been visiting various municipalities in Carbon County to discuss sewage sludge with local officials.  Yesterday we spoke to Lehigh Township Supervisors in the afternoon and Weissport Borough officials in the evening.  Both of those meetings were covered by the local press.  


If those reporters had not been there, how would citizens find out what had happened?  On Facebook?  On Twitter?  On Instagram?  By a telephone tree?  I don’t see how citizens will be able to follow their local government actions once newspapers disappear  Unfortunately, that has already happened in hundreds of communities.  We are lucky in Carbon County that we still have a local paper.  I don’t always like its editorial page, but I certainly appreciate its news coverage.


Note:  At some point I will post about why we are talking about sewage sludge, but not tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment