Sunday, May 7, 2023

End of an era?

Since the mid-‘60s I’ve been buying the Sunday New York Times.  First on College Avenue in State College, later at DeLauer’s bookstore in Oakland (my daughter and I had a weekly ritual buying the Times and Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups), then as we moved, in San Jose, Danville, and San Anselmo.  For over fifty years the Times and Sundays were intertwined.


When I retired to PA I quickly found an outlet in Kresgeville at Jeker’s Store.  Eventually I ended up at Sonny’s Express Mart.  I had a good system with the Bob, the owner.  When we went on vacation a pile of Times would be waiting for me when we returned.


Lately Bob has been having trouble with the distributor.  Delivery has been spotty.  The distributor decided that we could do without the Monday paper.  I wrote to the New York Times three times and to the distributor.  Not one letter was answered.


Today I learned that the paper will no longer be delivered.  I suppose I could drive to Stroudsburg, but that is about 25 miles.  Then I tried the gas station near the Mahoning Interchange, and they had two copies.  Yes!


But will they save them for me?


Please don’t comment that I can read the paper on line.  I know that.  I have an on-line subscription.  IT IS NOT THE SAME. 

No comments:

Post a Comment