Friday, July 28, 2023

Counting bats

First, if you read last night's post, here is an update.  I visited my optometrist this morning; I have a scratch on my eyeball, but I am now putting antibiotic drops in my eye four times a day.  Everything should be fine.

Now, bat count.  Every year I count our bats for the Pennsylvania State Game Commission.  At one point at the height of the "white nose syndrome disease," we had fewer than ten.   Since then the population is  slowly increasing.  You're supposed to count three times; so far I've done two counts.  First night, 50, 2nd night 45.  I don't know why the discrepancy.  Most of them live in a bat house we put up for them on the east side of our shed, but at least a few are coming out of the eaves from the shed itself. 

The species is little brown bats, and I am so glad they are making a comeback.

No comments:

Post a Comment