Saturday, February 10, 2024

Collecting petition signatures

Today was the deadline to turn in nominating petitions in Pennsylvania.  To get on the ballot in Pennsylvania to run for U.S. Senator you need a thousand signatures from members of your party.  For State Senate and State House of Representatives you need 300 signatures.  Today signature gatherers had a “party” in Lehighton where we could turn in our completed petitions and sign others we hadn’t yet signed.


I did not do well this year; I only had nine signature on each of two petitions.  Part of the problem was that for most of the days allotted I either had Covid or was still contagious.  The other problem was that this time I went to people I knew.  When you stop by friends, you need to chit chat.  It’s rude to ask them sign and then immediately leave.  


If you really need a pile of names quickly, you get a list of your party members in “walk order” and go down the street knocking on doors.  The “ring doorbells” can be a problem; many people don’t open the doors for people they don’t know.  If thy do open the door, however, I have found that most people are willing to sign one or two petitions to get a candidate on the ballot.  Two years ago I did that and managed to get over 100 signatures in a two-week period.

No comments:

Post a Comment