Saturday, February 17, 2024

Go to Hell Money

When we discussed political morality in my classes, I always explained the need to have “go to hell” money.  I learned that expression from Linda.  What you should do is have enough savings so that if your boss or supervisor ever asks you to do something you know is immoral or illegal, you can say with conviction “go to hell” and walk out.  While I never felt the need to do that in all of my various jobs, it was something I was prepared for.


I thought about that often in the last few months when I read about Republican politicians sucking up to Trump.  Men and women in Congress whom I assumed had some integrity are selling their souls to a man who cares nothing for morals, decency, or the Constitutional order.  


These Republican leaders aren’t living on the margins of American society.  They need not worry about paying the mortgage or putting their kids through college or becoming homeless.  Even if they lost the next election, they have connections, big houses, expensive clothes. 


Does power mean that much to them?  It’s not that they will be incarcerated or poisoned or exiled.  And yet they lie and grovel for Trump.  It’s pathetic.

1 comment:

  1. So now that I'm retired, is go to hell money money I need to spend before I go to hell?

    ReplyDelete