Thursday, March 28, 2024

Do Democrats practice voter suppression?

If Ralph Nader had not run in 2000 Al Gore would have been elected President.  If Jill Stein had not run in 2016 Hillary Clinton would have been elected president.  I understand the anger Democrats feel at 3rd party candidates who help elect Republicans.  I can even understand why Democrats might wish to support weak Republican candidates in primaries to make it easier to beat them in November, as they recently did in Ohio.

Nonetheless, it is wrong.  If Robert Kennedy , Jr., runs and takes votes away from Biden, that is not the fault of democracy  It is the fault of voters who vote for an idiot.  In a democracy you don’t suppress the votes of your opponents; you convince voters not to make stupid mistakes.  Voter suppression is wrong, even if done for a supposedly good cause.

By the way, my wife, whose hero is Nancy Pelosi, completely disagrees with this post and thinks I am naive.

4 comments:

  1. I would not suggest we suppress Democrats voting for candidates other than Joe Biden, but I would remind them that a vote for anyone else a vote for Trump. And if he wins they might not get to vote again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely on board for reminding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You convince voters? Never thought you were
    that naive. I’m with Linda

    ReplyDelete