Thursday, April 11, 2024

Voting at my kitchen table

Earlier this evening I filled out my “vote-by-mail” ballot, put it in the secrecy envelope, put that in the mailing envelope, sealed it, and signed and dated the back.  There is no reason to make people put the date on the back; if the ballot is received by election day, that should be sufficient.  I’d even think this was a form of voter suppression, but I believe it is more a result of bad drafting of legislation. 


Remember the end of the movie “Chinatown,” after the Faye Dunaway character is killed, and Jake’s partner tells him, “Forget it, Jake, it’s Chinatown.”  So many times Linda will turn to me and say,  “Forget it, Roy, it’s Pennsylvania.”


The inability to start processing mail-in ballots early, the two-part system of regular mail-in ballots and absentee ballots, the lack of drop boxes, the inane rule about dating the envelope:  “Forget it, Jake, it’s Pennsylvania.”  

1 comment:

  1. I wrote in my script for GOTV to remind people not to write their birthdate on the envelope. These are the people who elect the people who run Pennsylvania!

    ReplyDelete