According to an article by Rose Horowitch in the latest Harper’s entitled “The Age of Reading is Over,” fewer than half of Americans read a book last year. Not one book. Most teenagers no longer read any books for enjoyment. People don’t read newspapers. Our President doesn’t even read position papers, and I will bet he has never read a single book.
Do you know what I would like to read? Something that is good news. Spain winning the World Cup was good news, but it is too fleeting, and it was on TV anyway. In the meantime I’m almost finished with David Sedaris’ Theft by Finding: Diaries 1977-2002. And like everything David Sedaris writes, it is very good.
I’ll be happy to take other suggestions. No rom coms, historical fiction, fantasy, or religious stuff. I never got Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter if that helps.
No comments:
Post a Comment