Sunday, July 19, 2026

The Annual Bat Count

Every summer I count our bats for the Pennsylvania Game Commission.  We have a bat house on the east end of our shed, and last year’s count was 42.  


Tonight I only counted 31.  It was a relatively cool evening, with the temp about 63 degrees, but they still should be coming out to catch insects.  According to a bat expert from the Game Commission who stopped by earlier this summer, Pennsylvania’s bats have been slowly increasing since the low point some years ago from a disease known as “white nose syndrome.”  The expert, Robyn, is coming back in September with a crew to put up a better bat house on a pole, so that may help our population.


I am supposed to count on two separate nights, so I’ll probably try again tomorrow.  We like our bats; I hope I just missed something.

No comments:

Post a Comment