Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Holocaust Conference in Morocco

Usually what I do falls under the rubric of “content aggregator.”  I look for stuff to write about, and I share it with my readers.  Occasionally, like tomorrow when I report on the Lower Towamensing and Towamensing joint planning effort, I am a “content provider,” reporting original news.  
The reason we need content aggregators is because in a world of information overload, we may miss some important developments.  Perhaps the Holocaust Conference was played up on NBC or Fox, but I doubt it.  In the New York Times the item appeared in yesterday’s issue on page 19, not exactly front page.
The story:  A Moroccan college student named Elmehdi Boudra became interested in the history of Moroccan Jews.  At Al Akhawayn University he and other students formed a club to study Morocco’s Jewish heritage and history. A conference was organized with scholarly presentations, museum visits, and kosher food.  The students learned that the King of Morocco, Mohammed V, refused to cooperate with the Vichy French authorities who tried to deport the country’s Jews.  
Mr. Boudra wrote last week:  “What upsets me about this subject is some people’s claim that the Holocaust never took place.  It is simply absurd to hear such claims in the light of the historical evidence the world has today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment