Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sen. Toomey, the Lehigh River, and government regulations


My friend George attended the Toomey event at Penn’s Peak on Thursday.  After Toomey’s appearance, he sent the following email to Sen. Toomey:
During your opening comments, you related your family’s recent outing on the beautiful Lehigh River.  Unfortunately you are too young to remember the river when it was loaded with acid mine water, coal dirt, and sewage.  I do.  As a kid growing up in Lehighton I was never allowed to go into the water for my safety.  Thanks to the EPA that created many rules and regulations that you now want to gut, we now have this beautiful river.  
Without those regulations, the borough of Jim Thorpe would be a ghost town.  Instead we have a thriving economy with many local small business that support many families.  Imagine where we would be without the government regulations that cleaned up this river. 
I hope Sen. Toomey takes my friend’s email to heart.  I, too, can remember the first time my Dad and I rafted from Jim Thorpe to Lehighton.  Raw sewage was coming out of the outflow pipe at Jim Thorpe.  It was not a great experience.  Thank goodness for government regulations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment