Thursday, September 1, 2011

Toomey visits Carbon County


While we were waiting to get in, I became embroiled in an argument with a Tea Party guy about my age who was anti-union.  He said he was an American individual and didn’t need a union.  I asked him if he really thought an individual Wal-Mart worker could bargain with Wal-Mart.  He said if he did a good job, he would get a raise.  I asked him how he could be so old and have learned so little.  People around us stepped back and looked uncomfortable.  The older I get, the nastier I get.  The problem is that I am just too old to put up with such crap.
I wasn’t allowed to take my small poster into the event.  The poster said, “Class warfare is raging in America, and our class ain’t winning.”  The security guy, who was dressed all in black and looked like a typical bouncer, said he was working for Penn’s Peak.  I asked him if I could bring in a gun, and he said “No.”  So much for the Second Amendment.  
I spent the entire event in the last row with my chair turned around and my back toward Toomey.  I did hear Toomey attack the NLRB, the EPA, the Health Care Reform, and the  stimulus.  Here’s a guy who made his money in currency manipulation presenting himself as a big expert on the economy.  He doesn’t represent people like me.  He represents oil companies, banks, and corporations.  He is a right-wing ideologue, willing to put people’s health and lives at risk in service to his corporate bosses.

3 comments:

  1. If my research is correct, Mr, Toomey is a 50 year old from Rhode Island. What makes him think that he knows what the people of Carbon County need. I hope that the people can see through him and make a change on his reelection.

    Him and his ilk want to take the country back, so they say. Personally I don't want to see the country go back to 1850. We need the EPA, FDA, NLRB, OSHA and other regulatory entities that keep the people safe from big business. People need to remember why they came into being. Do we really want our drinking water and the air we breath fowled? Do we want our children just going to school until they are 12 so they can work in industry for minimum wage which business would like to see lowered.

    If you think it could never happen, think again because that is the way it was in the 1800's. Take the time and do the research on the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I would have known about the event early enough to have attended with you...but that's also the point--This wasn't really publicized to the public, was it? Another Republican closed door meeting for the most part!...but We still need to show up and make our presence known...Good for you, Linda and Marian, Roy! When it's such short notice, call next time and I will stand there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarina,
    It was on TV 13 a couple days before.
    On his Web site.
    Also, in the Times-News the day before.
    George

    ReplyDelete