Saturday, October 8, 2011

Adventures in obtaining voter ID

According to reputable studies, the new voter suppression laws that have already been passed in Republican-dominated states will decrease turnout by about 5 million voters, most of them Democrats.  That is a larger number than Obama won by in 2008.
I am doing my part here.  Yesterday I took my aunt, who no longer drives, to get a photo ID at the Lehighton PennDot office at the Mahoning Mall.  By the way, Republicans always say things like, “You need to show photo ID at your grocery store.”  I shop at County Harvest in Palmerton, at Mallard Market in Lehighton, and at the Kresgeville Deli, and I have NEVER been asked for a photo ID.
We arrived at 11 a.m.  I told my aunt that it wouldn’t take long, since we didn’t have to go to the drivers’ license part of the room.  Wrong.  We were told the first stop was at the drivers’ license section, and we were given a number.  #56.  Number currently being served:  #28.  I have had enough experience with DVM offices to know to bring a book, and I thought I could walk over to McDonalds and bring back lunch.  Wrong.  No food allowed in the waiting room.  
The chairs in the waiting room have no arms.  My aunt uses a walker, and it is extremely difficult for her to get up from a chair with no arms.  When we finally reached the desk and the information was collected, we were directed to the picture portion.  No numbers, only a line.  I told my aunt to sit, and I would stand in line for her.  Without going into boring medical details, when I stand for long period, I have problems.  Luckily, the kindly man behind me told me to sit down, and he would save our place.
When it was my aunt’s turn, the chair she was directed to again had no arms.  Again my aunt had trouble.  
Republicans point out that picture IDs are free.  Do they count time?  Do they count pain?  Suppose my aunt did not have me to drive her?
My aunt has been voting in Towamensing since her twenties.  People at the polling place know her by name.  I can guarantee you that if she does not have voter ID at the 2012 election, some creepy Republican poll watcher will challenge her vote.  Republicans say this whole thing is to prevent fraud.  Let’s call that what it is--a lie.

Note:  I have a faithful reader in Chicago who frequently posts comments.  Today I met him in person.  Occasionally the impersonal internet allows us to meet and enjoy the company of people we never would have known.  That's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment