Saturday, October 22, 2011

Health Care Benefits at Walmart

Walmart recently announced that all future employees who work less than 24 hours a week will no longer qualify for the company’s health insurance plans.  Employees who work between 24 and 33 hours a week will not be able to insure a spouse.  Premiums will increase for full-time workers as well, and deductibles can rise to $5000 a year.
I got into an argument with a guy at the Toomey event at Penn’s Peak earlier this year.  He said unions were not needed because good workers would be rewarded.  I brought up WalMart, and he insisted that one person could reasonably bargain with the nation’s largest private employer.  At that point I began to shout at him.  (I know, I know--that was stupid.)  So, in a very calm voice, I would simply point out that what WalMart is doing shows the need for a strong union that can bargain on behalf of its employees.
WalMart is also charging a differential for workers who smoke, noting that their health care costs are about 25% higher than nonsmokers.  Personally, I don’t have a problem with that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment