Sunday, October 16, 2011

Medical costs

The U.S. spends more per capita for health care than any other country, yet the health of our citizens is not appreciably better.  Cuba has a greater life expectancy than we do.  What are we doing wrong?
This morning my aunt thought she was having a heart attack.  I told her to call 911 and ask for an ambulance.  I would be right over.
She was right, and she has already received a stent at Lehigh Valley Hospital.  I talked to her this evening, and she is doing fine.  
What I want to know is why were two ambulances dispatched to her house?  Why was a firetruck dispatched?  It was one aunt with one heart attack.  Why five EMTs?  Why three vehicles?  My cousin, who was also there, said she heard it was some kind of state law.  If that is true, it is time to repeal that law.  

1 comment:

  1. Here in Illinois it is common practice to send an ambulance, police car and a fire truck on such calls. I do tend to agree with you on this.

    The only reason I could think of for this procedure is the possibility that the person could have gone into an unconscious state and the house may have to be broken into.

    ReplyDelete