Thursday, October 27, 2011

Phone etiquette for political calls

Last night and tonight I worked a phone bank on behalf of Carbon County Democratic candidates.  I’ll probably be doing it again next week.  We start at 5:30 p.m. and call until 8:00.  What are most people doing at that time?  They are winding down from work, or eating dinner, or watching the news.  And here comes a call from me reminding them of the upcoming election and asking for their votes.
I understand they may be annoyed.  I understand they may even be angry.  Nevertheless, I don’t think that warrants hanging up without a further word or using foul language.  Allow me give you a tip for responding to political calls you don’t want to hear.  Say, politely, “I know what you are doing is difficult, and I respect that, but I am not interested.  Thank you.”  Then you hang up. 
I mean, really, do you think I enjoy making these calls?  Do you think I’m making piles of money doing this?  The next time I get hung up on or cursed out, I’m going to call back at midnight and say,”Hey jerk, learn some phone manners.”  You’ve been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment