Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cooper Tire action

This morning Linda and I drove to Wilkes-Barre to participate in a labor rally against Cooper Tire.  We had about thirty people with signs and a giant blow-up rat representing the management of Cooper Tire.  Let me give you some background.
In 2008 Cooper Tire in Findlay, Ohio, was suffering financially.  The United Steel Workers Local 207L, recognizing the company’s problems, sacrificed $31.2 million in concessions.  The Ohio state government also helped, providing the company with $2.5 million of taxpayer funds.
Since January 1, 2009, Cooper Tire has made $448 million in operating profits.  In 2010 the top five executives took home more than $9.5 million and bought a new corporate jet.  Two wage increases and bonuses were given to management personnel.
The members of Local 207L were willing to continue working while a new contract was negotiated.  Instead of negotiating in good faith, the company locked out the union members and brought in out-of-state worker replacements.  
Meanwhile the Republican candidates blather on about class warfare.
If you would like to see a two minute film on Cooper Tire, go to <www.stopcoopertire.org>.  

2 comments:

  1. I know some people won't say it but I will. Cooper Tire executives are nothing more than greedy bastards! I fully support the workers, I will not be buying any of their products until they end their lockout.

    As for the scabs who are working in the rightful workers jobs--may they all rot in hell. Once you are a scab you will always be considered one. They will never have an opportunity to work in any union jobs. I hope they all go to their homes and tell their children that they are scabs. If anyone supports the executives, I don't feel sorry for you because you have no heart.

    Sorry Roy about my tone but I feel very strongly about this sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell my auto repair guy that there will be NO cooper tires on my my car.
      I do believe that I will need tires for next inspection.
      NO COOPER tires, please!!!!!

      Delete