Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Teachers and Tests

I’d like you to think back on the teachers who meant the most to you.  In your mind, list the ones who affected your life, how you think, your moral character.  I would name Mrs. Brown, my first grade teacher.  In high school I’d list Mr. Gordos and Mr. Geiger.  In college it would be Dr. Zucker and Mr. Hudnut.  For grad school I’d name Dr. Atwater and Dr. Hennessy.  
Now think back on how you scored on their tests.  Did you get A’s?  B’s?  You can’t remember, can you?  Yesterday a New York Times reporter analyzed a major study on teaching.  Researchers tracked 2.5 million students over 20 years to determine if good teachers made a difference.  The study, which analyzed such things as zip codes, jobs, and income, found they did. 
Under Bush’s “No Child Left Behind” and Obama’s “Race to the Top,” how are good teachers determined?  By test scores.  
The article noted two important items.  First, the teachers labeled “good” were identified before No Child Left Behind went into effect, so test scores were not relevant.  Secondly, can we really quantify the results of good teaching by the income you receive or the job you hold?  I believe I am a better person for because of Mr. Gordos.  It doesn’t matter how much I have in the bank or how big my house is.  
I don’t know how you measure a “good” teacher, but I do know it is not by standardized test scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment