Sunday, January 22, 2012

Meeting the candidates

Congressman Tim Holden and Pennsylvania House of Representatives candidate Ron Rabenold were introduced to about 40 Democratic activists today in Jim Thorpe.  These activists included Linda, George White, and me.  Congressman Holden, who is the dean of Pennsylvania Congressional Democrats, has been redistricted into Carbon and parts of Lehigh and Northampton Counties.  Ron Rabenold, a teacher in the Lehighton School District, will oppose Doyle Heffley in the fall.
Holden has represented a district with a Republican majority.  Understandably, he has been a rather conservative Democrat, siding with coal companies and opposing a number of Obama administration polices.  When I introduced myself to him, I noted that I was a member of the Sierra Club.  I told him that given his district, I would cut him some slack for his past votes, but that I would be watching him.  He seemed to take this well.  
As for Ron Rabenold, he is perfect for the district.  He is intelligent, and he will work for the interests of his district rather than be a lackey to his party leaders.  In other words, he is completely different from our current representative.

No comments:

Post a Comment