Saturday, August 11, 2012

Politics, 24/7


Well, maybe not quite 24/7, but close to it.  We started off this morning hearing that Romney had picked that anti-Medicare twit Paul Ryan.  Close your eyes and imagine Paul Ryan as president.  Scary, isn’t it.  More than scary.

Then we canvassed from 9:30-12:00--Linda in Jim Thorpe with Kim, me with Sandra and Emily in Lehighton, where we learned there is a Jamestown Drive, a Jamestown Street, and a Jamestown Road.  Sandra and Emily found a woman who switched from Republican to Democrat when McCain picked Palin.  Maybe we will a similar bounce when people understand Ryan.

At 3 p.m. we went down to the Fair to set up the tent, only to find that Kris and Marian had already set it up and were hard at work.  While we were there a woman and her mother stopped by.  The mother had no picture I.D.  She never had a driver’s license.  She also had no birth certificate since she was born at home.  If Doyle Heffley had been at the Republican booth, I would have taken her over to him and asked him for help.  This woman has voted for years, but now will need to go to the D.M.V., and this is going to be a major hassle.

At 5 p.m. I went over to Lehighton to work the booth for the Lehighton Area Democratic Club.  We sold bottled water, which is not the first drink of choice for bikers, but we did make some money.  We closed down at 8 p.m., before things got rowdy.

Then I bought a bottle of rum at the State Store, and now I plan to relax.  Tomorrow we start again.  

2 comments:

  1. My day was the complete opposite. I fixed a cabinet drawer. Then worked at installing another Radio sound system in our camping trailer. Trip to the store for somethings. Watched the race from Watkins-Glen. One of our favorite vacation places. Enjoyed listening to a Jimmy Buffet CD in our trailer. A very nice day just being out of touch on everyday things in the news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I can't believe how much time I put into politics. From April 14th to May 18th, I put 5000 miles on my car. Of course, I drove to work and back and traveled for leisure too but most of that was for political events.

    The hardest part is that, if I don't put in that effort, my friends are left with no help. It is tough to see that.

    On another note, the reason why you have to be so dedicated is that there is just not enough volunteers. We need more people. I wish we had a dedicated group of 50 people who all put in a mere 2 hours a week. Then we would have everything covered!

    ReplyDelete