Monday, August 13, 2012

Screen test


Today Linda and I were part of screen test at Lehighton Demo HQ to determine if we would be suitable spokespeople for a movie to be run during the Democratic Convention, probably before President Obama’s acceptance speech.  Nine Carbon County residents were filmed answering a number of questions about our views and attitudes related to current politics and issues.  If we are selected, we will go to New York later this week for a final filming. 

The director asked me what kind of America I envisioned.  I told him I would give him an example.  In The Grapes of Wrath there’s this scene where an Okie and two kids come into a restaurant and ask for half a loaf of bread.  The waitress tells him they can’t sell him half a loaf of bread.  The counterman sizes the guy up and realizes he has no money, and he tells the waitress to sell the guy half a loaf.  The waitress does, and then the kids ask how much the candy is.  The waitress tells them it’s penny candy, although it is much more.  The guy pays a penny and the kids get the candy.  Two truck drivers who witness the event know the candy costs more than a penny and make fun of the waitress for being a softie.  Then, when they leave, they put down a big tip for the waitress.  It’s working class America united, looking out for each other.  That’s the America I want to live in.  

I’m not sure I could describe that scene without tearing up.  I’m tired of Tea Party greed and Paul Ryan selfishness.  I see a different America. 

2 comments:

  1. It would be nice to see Linda and Roy as representative of small rural community America in Big Creek Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are enjoying the audio books!

    ReplyDelete