Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Injunction against Pennsylvania's Photo I.D. law


It seemed clear that the injunction on the Photo I.D. law issued by Judge Simpson today was inevitable.  The Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision that kicked the case back to Judge Simpson almost mandated today’s outcome.  

While election officials can still ask for photo I.D. under Simpson’s ruling, the voter does not have to produce it.  I know I won’t.  What the Democrats need to do now is to make sure that voters understand the law.  At our Democratic Party Executive Board meeting on Thursday, I will be proposing that we have people in each of the 51 county precincts holding posters explaining the requirements for voting and acting as a resource for people who have questions.

The Photo I.D. law has been a disaster from the day it was passed.  The intent was partisan and the implementation was inconsistent.  The Pennsylvania Supreme Court should have simply declared the whole thing unconstitutional, as two of the judges noted.  In any case, the decision today was a victory for democracy and fairness.  

1 comment:

  1. Good idea on having people at the polling locations holding signs. If you can't get enough people maybe signs could be posted. Like the candidate signs. I'm sure there will still be confusion. One would hope that the election judges are properly educated about the laws status.

    I wonder what Turds-eye is feeling right now. UN DONE!!!!

    ReplyDelete