Friday, October 12, 2012

The Vice Presidential Debate


No, I didn’t watch it, but I did see the picture of the two candidates side by side in the Allentown Morning Call.  From the photo, I’m assuming Biden won.  He looks more presidential.

In 1960 I was a freshman living in a dorm at Ursinus College when Kennedy and Nixon held their first debate.  Nobody on our floor had a TV, so I listened to the debate on the radio.  I thought Nixon won hands down.  The next morning I learned that almost everyone who watched the debate believed that Kennedy had won.  Television is a visual medium; what you way matters far less than how you look.

Fortunately for Democrats, Paul Ryan looks like the secretary of a college fraternity, not a U.S. President.


1 comment:

  1. I watched the debate with several others in the meeting room at the Inn at Jim Thorpe. The highlight of the night had to be when Martha Raddatz asked, "If you are elected, what could you both give to this country as a man, as a human being, that no one else could?" The first word out of Ryan's mouth was "Honesty" and the entire room burst into peals of laughter. What planet is that man from?

    ReplyDelete