Sunday, December 23, 2012

Another Times News debacle


A letter appeared in the Times News from me on Saturday.  The letter noted that U.S. government savings bonds were no longer sold at banks, and that you had to buy them on the internet.  I pointed out that the internet was often unfamiliar to elderly people, and that some people, like me, did not have credit cards.  The letter was addressed to Rep. Barletta and asked for his help to get the policy changed.

I also sent copies to the Times News and the Hazleton Standard Speaker. The letter clearly was addressed to Barletta, not “Dear Editor.”  I did not ask the Times News for help, as the letter in the paper implied.  

The contrast of the Times News with the Standard Speaker was stark.  A reporter from that paper called the  U.S. Treasury Department.  He found out that you really don’t need a credit card.  You can purchase savings bonds by using that long number that is on every check. After getting that information, he called me to tell me the news.  

The Standard Speaker is a real newspaper.  I so wish it was available down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment