Sunday, December 9, 2012

San Jose State University pride


For 29 years I was a professor at San Jose State.  I taught in the Political Science, Environmental Studies, and American Studies Departments.  I enjoyed my students and my colleagues.  SJSU began as a “normal school,” educating teachers.  We were never very good in football, but we did have a track team that was at one time of Olympic caliber.  In fact, if you are old enough, you may remember the two runners at the 1968 Olympics, John Carlos and Tommie Smith, who raised their clenched fists in protest to American policies on Vietnam and poverty.

Now a group of students in a sociology course succeeded in raising the minimum wage in San Jose to $10.00 an hour by using the initiative process and an incredible amount of work.  They first got the support of Cindy Chavez, leader of the Central Labor Council, and one of my former students, I am so proud to say. 

According to The Nation (December 17, 2012, pp. 4-6), San Jose is the largest city in the nation to do this.  (Yeah, San Jose is much larger than San Francisco). It will increase the annual take-home pay of minimum wage workers by $4000.  This was a result of a student-labor coalition.  I am so pleased.

5 comments:

  1. You should be very proud of your former students. They obviously listened closely in class. There just is no excuse for not being educated or enlightened. Well done Roy! You deserve a pat on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must point out that Ms. Chavez had other professors and other influences. I'd love to take all the credit, but I don't think I deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you remember me, Amy Reynolds, class of 90, but I had to reach out and tell you. In every students career there is 'the one.' You were mine. I was just beginning to think about Poly Sci when I took one of your courses in the late 80's and I was hooked. You inspired a community involvement and civic engagement I had not yet seen. After graduation I relocated to Sac and worked in the Capitol for many years, and at this point of reinventing myself and going back to school to get a teaching credential (you guessed it, social studies, I want to teach Government at the high school) I felt I needed to let you know what a profound impact your teaching had on me. Thank You!!!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete