Monday, December 16, 2013

Blaming the Affordable Care Act


When I was young and foolish, I drove my grandfather’s jeep into a deep snowdrift near our house.  The  drift was deeper than I thought, and the jeep rolled over.  My Dad got the tractor and a chain, and we drug it home.  The only damage was a broken windshield. Nonetheless, from that point on, when anything went wrong with the jeep, including a dead battery, my grandfather would nod his head and say, “That’s because Roy rolled the jeep over.”

I was reminded of that when my aunt, an elderly Democrat who voted for Obama, began to rail against the Affordable Care Act.  Her doctor evidently was worried about her use of pain pills, and told her he would not prescribe any more.  He told her it was because of Obamacare.  She had been getting visits from a home health care nurse, but that ended.  She blamed Obamacare.

Since she is on Medicare, neither of those developments had anything to do with the Affordable Care Act.  Medicare would not affect her pain pill prescription, and it limits the number of home health care visits after a hospital stay.  It is just so convenient to blame everything unpopular on Obamacare.  Every time someone’s insurance rates go up from now on, we know what to blame.  

1 comment:

  1. Forrest Gump might say "stupid is as stupid does". I would say ignorance is as ignorance does. There are lot of ignorant people around. Yes, some of them are in the healthcare profession.

    ReplyDelete