Friday, January 3, 2014

Social media as time suck


My friend Chris keeps telling me I need a Facebook page.  She says I could post on it, and expand my readership.  She says I need to get social media savvy.  She can’t believe that I don’t have a cell phone, let alone a smart phone.

Now I read in the latest issue of Rolling Stone in an article entitled “Snapshot of a New Generation,” that 31% of people ages 18-34 spend 4 hours or more a day on social media.  Only 14% of the same group think the electoral college works.

I’ll bet you that fewer than 5% of that group could give you a rudimentary explanation of how the electoral college works.  

I know that it is popular for old curmudgeons to decry the ignorance of the younger generation, but 1/3 of the millennials spending four or more hours watching cat videos and texting inane messages?  I mean, come on.

2 comments:

  1. The Internet is a lot like TV. It all depends what you do with it. On my Facebook page, I "liked" many political pages. These pages provide me with more information about current issues that I can digest. But, at least I get them.

    Also, consider Youtube. You Tube has a ton of documentaries online and full length. My kids will be able to augment their entire education with just one website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But how will you keep them from watching kitten videos?

      Delete