Tuesday, January 28, 2014

State of the Union


Sometimes I am very disappointed in President Obama.  The Affordable Health Care Act implementation has been terrible, the N.S.A. revelations are an affront to my sense of American civil liberties, and I believe the drone strikes have done far more harm than good.

Then I watch the President deliver his speech and it all comes back.  I remember why I spent all that effort helping to elect him.  I remember the euphoria in 2008 and 2012 when he won.  I am reminded of why I think the House Republicans are not only obstructionist, but also stupid.  I am reminded of how bad off this country would be if McCain had won in 2008 or Romney had won in 2012.  

Health care, minimum wage, immigration reform, closing Guantanamo, climate change, education, foreign policy--on issue after issue this President is on the right side.  The Obama bumper stickers from 2008 and 2012 will stay on my pickup truck tailgate, and I am proud to have them there.

1 comment:

  1. I thought he gave a great speech. He hit all the right high notes. My only disapointment was his not talking about the TPP. I know he wants it but I feel it is a bad deal for American workers.

    I would hope that republicans will work with him but I have serious doubts that they will stop their obstruction. If there are any republicans out there who disagree, I would love to hear their reasons why they will cooperate.

    ReplyDelete