Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Income tax day


I sent ours in last week.  We generally end up paying, partly because I refuse to go to a tax consultant.  I have this theory that someone with a Ph.D. in political science who has fairly simple sources of income ought to be able to figure out his taxes, although I really should get some help.

One year when we lived in San Jose we had to sell our car to make the payment.  I also was a procrastinator, and more than once we were in the line of cars at the Post Office beating the midnight postmark deadline.

Occasionally I have to pay a penalty because I don’t make quarterly payments the I.R.S. would like.  I would rather pay the penalty than to deal with the whole tax thing four times a year.

I’m hoping that our payment is going to foreign aid or the Death Valley National Monument or Walter Reed Hospital.  I’d hate to think that Sen. Ted Cruz is getting any of it.  Too bad we can’t earmark our returns.

1 comment:

  1. Earmarks are an intresting idea. I wonder how many people would earmark their tax dollars for Exon Mobil or BP. After all they are a big part of the $4,000,000,000 (for those who don't understand math, that is $4 billion dollars) that the oil companies recieve annually. And yet these people continue to vote for the very same people who have voted time and time again for those very same subsidies. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

    ReplyDelete