Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The End of Your Life Book Club


My doctor noticed that I was always reading before my radiation treatments and asked me if I had read “The End of Your Life Book Club.”  [I’ll explain why I’m getting radiation treatments, but not just yet.]  

Anyway, I borrowed the book from the Palmerton Library, and it is wonderful.  It concerns a woman who is dying of pancreatic cancer and her son who read the same books.  I’m over half way through it, but, of course, I know how it will end.

The mother and son are both great readers.  Remember when you would ask a friend, “What are you reading these days?”  Mother and son are eclectic in their selections, and an appendix lists every book mentioned or discussed.  

Linda’s reaction to the recommendation was, “Is your doctor trying to tell you something?”  I asked him that, and he smiled and said no, it was just a great book.  It is.  The author is Will Schwalbe; the book was published by Alfred A Knopf in 2012.  If you are a reader, I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment