Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Christ on the Cross


Suppose I go to the next meeting of the Towamensing Township Board of Supervisors to ask a question about my garbage bill.  Suppose before the meeting begins, a priest stands up in the front of the room, asks us to bow our heads, and prays “We acknowledge the saving sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross.”

Is that not a violation of the First Amendment’s guarantee against the “establishment of religion?”  A majority of the Supreme Court doesn’t think so, and that actual quote was used in the case they decided.

Do you think that I as an atheist will get a fair hearing at that meeting?  What about my Jewish and Hindu and Muslim neighbors?  What is wrong with the Supreme Court?  Is it because a majority are Catholics?  I don’t think that’s it.  I think it’s because a majority of the U.S. Supreme Court is out of contact with the real world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment