Saturday, May 31, 2014

Electronic recycling day


I’ve been collecting flashlight batteries for years.  I generate my own, but I also pick them up from gutters; flashlight batteries are quite toxic to the environment.  Strangely, in an era of high tech, many of our devices run on batteries, including the keyboard on which I’m typing this.  

When I heard that Lehighton was holding an electronic recycling day at the Public Works Garage, I was delighted.  Unfortunately, the recyclers charged $2.00 a pound for the batteries, and I had over 25 pounds.  I can’t tell you the exact amount because the people in charge of the recycling didn’t have a scale.  They also charged $2.00 for each swirly lightbulb, and I had 12 of those.  My cost came to $74, although the nice lady who took my money gave me a discount, so I only had to pay $65.  I hope I’m not getting her into trouble.

Two lessons can be drawn.  First, the environmental costs of batteries are “externalities.”  The environmental costs are external to the consumer costs, to be borne by either the consumer himself or herself, or by the environment.  I’m pleased to say that car batteries now have a charge for recycling, but regular dry cell batteries don’t.  It is time we add the externalities to the consumer cost.

Secondly, how many people will pay to recycle their light bulbs and batteries?  How many will put them in the trash or throw them out beside the road?

No comments:

Post a Comment