Saturday, July 11, 2015

Building coalitions

We are building a coalition against the UGI-PennEast Pipeline.  (I say we, but most of the credit goes to Linda.)  The coalition includes homeschooling conservatives and labor union activists, atheists and born agains, Republicans and Democrats, people who feel passionately about bog turtles and people who want to protect their investments, hunters and vegans, gays and straights, old Pennsylvania Dutch farmers and recent arrivals from New Jersey.  

The coalition is united by one thing only, and that is opposition to the proposed pipeline.  

This morning I read a letter in the Times-News from a man angry about the proposed $21 million expenditure proposed by the Palmerton School Board.  I was agreeing with the guy.  I was saying to myself, “That’s right, that’s right,” and then I get to the second last paragraph, where the letter writer takes a gratuitous swipe at President Obama, and he loses me.  Not only does he lose me, but I’m thinking that I want nothing to do with this guy.  


Some people know how to build strong coalitions.  Others are clueless.

No comments:

Post a Comment